Tuesday, May 26, 2015

First Line of Defense

Occasionally, I find myself completely clueless.
I don't know how I am feeling, I don't know how to handle certain situations, I don't know what words to say, I don't know what's right or wrong. I wonder if there is something that I could have done differently, or if I could have handled certain situations in a more suitable way? Sometimes I'm clueless in how to make a relationship with someone, how to get through this last semester of my online classes, and how I am going to find the time to fold the heap of laundry that always makes itself present.
Occasionally I find myself at a complete loss.

So, who do I go to when I find myself in these situations? I usually go to first my husband, or my cute mom or dad. They always have great advice for me. I am so lucky to be able to be surrounded by so many wise people who can help me make positive decisions, and guide me towards a happy, and righteous living.

As I finished my morning prayers today, I rolled back into bed, and pulled out my scriptures where I opened to 2 Nephi 32:

8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.

9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.

It hit me like a stone wall.
Heavenly Father should be our very first line of defense. 

I usually pray to my Heavenly Father when I need him, but it usually seems like I use him as my last resort. Unfortunately, it also seems that I only pray to my Heavenly Father when I feel I need him.
Elder Bednar says:  "Prayer becomes more meaningful as we counsel with the Lord in all of our doings, as we express heartfelt gratitude, and as we pray for others."

The more we pray, the more opportunities we have to better know and understand our Savior. With that knowledge comes faith.
When we have faith in Him, we will know that he grants knowledge to all those who ask, we come to know of our individual worth and the love that God has for us, and we come to know the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We come to trust our Savior's time table, and get to build a relationship with Him.

So, if you are facing a challenge in life, or finding yourself at a loss, instead of putting Siri, your spouse, your friend, or you parents your first line of defense, put the Savior there instead.
     Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment